Learn About Carbon Monoxide
If you believe you have carbon monoxide buildup in your home or business, leave the building immediately and call 877.427.4321.
Natural gas is a safe fuel source. However, incomplete combustion of any fuel – charcoal, gasoline, wood or even natural gas – produces carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is poisonous and has no odor, taste or color. Carbon monoxide detectors are helpful, but they are no substitute for using equipment safely. This includes having your appliances inspected at least once a year by a certified contractor.
Improper venting can be caused by the following:
- Chimneys or vents blocked by leaves, bird nests, debris or heating residue
- Malfunctioning or improperly installed equipment
- Heating equipment improperly enclosed by paneling or other structures
- Improperly vented equipment
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Buildup
- Stuffy or stale air
- Very high humidity
- Fallen soot from your chimney or draft hood
- A hot draft coming from your draft hood
If carbon monoxide has been backing up into your living space for some time, you may experience carbon monoxide poisoning. While carbon monoxide poisoning is extremely rare, be aware of the following symptoms:
- Dizziness and weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stinging eyes
- Heart flutters
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
- Install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Have a HVAC technician check your heating equipment annually.
- Keep the area surrounding your gas appliances clear from clutter or trash.
Carbon monoxide detectors may be helpful in your home or business. But remember, a carbon monoxide detector should never be substituted for using equipment safely—which includes having your heating and cooking appliances inspected yearly by a trained professional. Find one in your area.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
There are many carbon monoxide detectors on the market. Regardless of brand, the detector you purchase should meet current UL standards and must be installed and operated according to the manufacturer's instructions.